Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Her Infectious Smile is Now on High

Today I attended a funeral for a sweet woman, known as EDK. She is the mother of a friend of mine. She has battled cancer for the last few years and last Thursday, her mortal body could not hold on any longer. Her battle has been long but her courage has been strong. I did not have many opportunities to spend time with her, but always heard wonderful things about her. She had a such a loving and fun personality and it shined through in the many stories and thoughts people shared today. Today I learned more about her deep spirit. She seemed to promote striving for spiritual growth with everyone. The memorial program contained the following passage from her journal:

"...I cannot even express how dependant I am on my Savior, Jesus Christ, especially now as I fight cancer. It is very early in the morning and I could not sleep, so I came into my office to pray and to plead with Heavenly Father through His Son to help me get through this experience. I know I will live with Him and His Son again, along with my family for all eternity. He will teach me all that I need to know as He always has. This is my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

That defining knowledge in her heart made her continue her fight. As I have my daily challenges, I yearn for the answers, the strength, and the courage to go on...but I have to remember I can not do it alone. EDK, you will be greatly missed here on earth, but I envision a wonderful reunion in heaven. Your love and memories will be forever in my heart and in the hearts of all who knew you.

No comments: