Friday, August 15, 2008

Cause-Effect

Thought is cause: experience is effect. If you don't like the effects in your life, you have to change the nature of your thinking.

--Mariannne Williamson

Are you a Leader? Follower? Team Member? Planner? Dreamer?

Do you know that you have a responsibility no matter what category you fall into?

My attitude has been rather negative most of my life. I am not sure why. I have figured out that part of my responsibility is to take care of me...(or yourself). This small simplepractice allows me to become better at whatever my role is...

Mom, friend, wife, sister, neighbor, just to name a few.

So when I see the glass...is it half-full or half-empty?

Only I can choose to make my attitude good or bad-yes ME.

The world is full of trials, afflictions and heartache, but how you choose to handle it is my responsibility. This does not mean I can not go through stages...hurt, anger, sadness...I think many times our viewpoint usually needs to realigned. In the last general conference , President Dieter F. Uchtdorf ..spoke about how small errors can have a large impact on our lives...that is where I have been. The difference between happiness and misery … often comes down to an error of only a few degrees.

I want to connect with others through mindfulness, hope and compassion. If I am more in tune with myself..it filters down. I can accomplish more and more people will be affected for the good. The Lord requires not only outward acts but also our inner thoughts and feelings to be close to the spirit of the law. God requires the heart and a willing mind.

So do I have a plan or method?

I think we all do...but we just think about it...and many times don't write it down. You have to act, and many times share your thoughts and goals with someone to become accountable.

So this isn't like a New Years Resolutions that may never come to be.

I need to make changes for the long Haul. Begin with a willing heart, include Heavenly Father in my desires and goals, being humble, being accountable...and exercising Faith.

So as I take a minute and write down categories in my life. Starting with the past...I make a list of important times or events. How did I handle them? How would I do it now? Is there pattern or a certain life rhythm? I think I have one...sometimes a healthy cycle and sometimes...the get our of my way, cycle...(its true...ask my husband)

One of the main things I have noticed in all areas that I want to improve is my negative thoughts. We all seem to be so bad at putting ourselves down. Do you think it is because we listen to Satan who tries to make us feel that way? Do you think it is easier than accepting a good thought about yourself? (guilty)

I have two children with whom I find myself saying, "try again"...as they use mean or inappropriate words or voices. So I need to remember to substitute the same words to myself as I begin my negative thought process...try again, try again...I think it is like a wake up call to myself. One small step in the journey to a better me.

So what is my legacy? What is yours? Do you want to be know for being kind and helpful...and yet never go out of your way..Did you want to be a great musician, yet too afraid to try...what is your passion? How will this help in taking care of me? Regret, fear and procrastination all weigh heavy. So think about it...and
LIGHTEN YOUR LOAD.

So as I go forward today, I want to course correct and make my journey though life a more direct path. Shaving off a few degrees in many areas...and making my focus more on Christ.

1 comment:

elaine said...

On my last out of town trip the Young Women sang a song in Church based on the Philippians verse, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" and I went "wow" inside. And this is along those lines, or at least that's what I got out of it. Lighten our load through Him, listen to how He feels about us first? Good thoughts.